The daimyo Kuroda Yoshitaka started to build Nakatsu Castle, a flatland castle on the border of Fukuoka Prefecture on the island of Kyushu, in 1587. Warlord Toyotomi Hideyoshi originally stationed Kuroda Yoshitaka in the area, but awarded Kuroda a larger domain after his exploits in the Battle of Sekigahara of 1600. Evidently not the quickest builder, Kuroda left the castle incomplete.
He was replaced at Nakatsu by Hosokawa Tadaoki, who completed both Nakatsu and the nearby Kokura Castle. After several generations, the Hosokawa clan was displaced by the Ogasawaras, who held the area until 1717.
The final samurai clan to own Nakatsu Castle was the Okudaira family, who lived there from 1717 until the Meiji Restoration in 1868.
During the Satsuma Rebellion of 1877, which was the last gasp of the samurai class, the five-story castle was burned to the ground.
The current incarnation of Nakatsu Castle was built in 1964. It houses a large collection of samurai armor, weapons, and other artifacts, and is open to the public.